Human Dimensions of Organizations
Communication & Leadership
HDO Courses Running March 29-April 1, 2022
Faculty and staff from UT Austin’s HDO Program are excited to welcome you to our upcoming Professional Training programs.
This page provides key logistical information for your upcoming courses(s) with HDO. Whether you are joining us for one class or the entire week, please review the information below prior to your course(s).
We look forward to working with you!
Time: Each course runs from 9:00 am to 4:00. You may arrive as early as 8:30 am to enjoy breakfast and meet your fellow participants.
Pre-Training Survey: Please complete a brief survey by March 27. The survey provides your instructors with key insights into your training goals and professional background.
- 8:30 am – 9:00 am: Breakfast & Networking
- 9:00 am – Noon: Seminar Morning Session
- Noon – 1:00 pm: Lunch Break (Catered)
- 1:00 pm – 3:55 pm: Seminar Afternoon Session
- 3:55 pm – 4:00 pm: Wrap Up & Evaluation
Recommended Attire: There is no dress code for our training programs; however, most participants opt for business casual attire.
If you have any questions leading up to or during your program, please contact Alyx Dykema.
All of this week’s courses will take place at UT Austin’s IC2 Institute. IC2 is located at 2815 San Gabriel St., Austin, TX 78705. Free parking is available on-site. HDO is located on the third floor of the Institute.
What We Provide
- Coffee, tea, and refreshments
- Light breakfast
- Catered lunch
- Wifi access
- Pens and notepads
- Parking validation
- Course materials as designated by the faculty
What to Bring
- Tablet or laptop (optional)
- Additional note-taking materials (optional)
- Business cards (optional)
- Light jacket or sweater (optional)
We strongly recommend that all participants complete COVID-19 vaccination before participating in our programs. In addition, we are taking the following steps to provide a safe teaching and learning environment:
- Requiring social distancing
- Reducing participant maximums from 25 persons to 16 persons per course
- Enhancing safety precautions (providing sanitation stations and individually packaged lunches, for example)
- Encouraging all participants to wear masks as much as possible
Please note that some courses include optional pre-work to help you prepare for the day.
The Art & Science of Negotiation (March 29, 2022)
Pre-Course Reading/Assignments: Please bring an upcoming or anticipated negotiation scenario with you on the day of your course.
Other Information: None
Slide Deck: Slide Deck
Understanding and Managing Motivations: Uncovering Potentials (March 30, 2022)
Communicating for Impact (March 31, 2022)
Pre-Course Reading/Assignments: Please bring a recent, upcoming, or anticipated communication you would like to work on with you on the day of your course.
Ethics, Culture & Leadership (April 1, 2022)
- The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down passage
- We’re Thinking About Organizational Culture All Wrong article
- Why “Company Culture” Is a Misleading Term article
Other Information: Participants will receive a copy of this book by John: Embracing Uncertainty: Future Jazz, That 13th Century Buddhist Monk, and the Invention of Cultures
Slide Deck: Slide Deck