Emotional Intelligence for Leaders
This certificate program consists of three required courses (listed below) and one elective course option.
This certificate is comprised of four single-day courses.
If you’re experiencing an error while attempting to check out, please take the following steps: Clear your browser cache and cookies, close your browser, and try registering again. If this does not correct the problem, please use another browser. We recommend Google Chrome or Firefox. We apologize for the inconvenience. If issues persist, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In this information-packed and interactive seminar, Consultant Jim Pacey and Psychologist Kirsten Bradbury guide you in developing the skills and knowledge you need to increase your use of Emotional Intelligence (EQ) in workplace leadership.
Integrating perspectives from biomedicine, positive psychology, clinical science, business, and leadership studies, this seminar focuses on key subcomponents of EQ and their application to successful leadership.
A variety of leadership behaviors can be enhanced by applying advanced socioemotional regulatory and relational skills, like workplace decision-making, creative innovation, and team communication.
Participants will complete self-assessments of EQ to identify their relative strengths and areas for growth and will learn and practice a variety of useful techniques for improving the socioemotional skills they need to be maximally effective leaders.
Foundations of Emotions and Leadership Impact:
- Understand the neurobiological basis of emotions and how they influence leadership behavior.
- Explore the interplay between neurology, emotions, and effective leadership.
- Analyze how awareness of neurological processes can enhance leadership style and the ability to motivate and inspire others.
Application of Emotional Intelligence in Leadership:
- Identify and describe the four key subcomponents of Emotional Intelligence (EQ) as they relate to successful leadership.
- Apply knowledge from biomedicine, psychology, clinical science, business, and leadership studies to develop practical strategies for incorporating EQ in workplace leadership.
- Evaluate the impact of EQ on specific leadership behaviors such as decision-making, innovation, and team communication.
Enhancing Leadership Skills Through Regulation:
- Develop an understanding of socioemotional regulatory skills in the context of leadership.
- Engage in self-assessment activities to identify personal strengths and areas for growth in EQ, and practice techniques that contribute to the development of socioemotional skills necessary for effective leadership.
Details & Registration
Time: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs): 0.6 CEUs will be awarded upon completion of this program (six hours of instruction)
One-Day Seminar Pricing:
Registration fee includes all course materials, catering (lunch and refreshments), WiFi access, and parking.
- Standard Registration: $1,000
- UT System Staff/Alumni Registration: $750
- Educator, Nonprofit, Government, Military Registration: $750
Get employer support! We’ve gathered resources to help you make the case for your employer to support your HDO education.
Dr. Kirsten Bradbury is an Associate Professor of Instruction in the Psychology department at UT Austin and maintains a clinical practice in Austin, TX.
Jim Pacey enjoyed a 38-year career with the YMCAs of Houston, Austin, St. Louis, and Seattle. He helped start four YMCAs in previously unserved areas. In each case, he led a grassroots process within those communities to assure support from individuals, organizations, and municipalities. Jim revamped the YMCA of Austin’s financial development department and, in 2010, raised over $1 million for the first time in the organizations’ history. He led the YMCA of Austin’s 2020 strategic planning process. Jim was also a National Trainer for YMCA-USA and has trained hundreds of YMCA staff and volunteers over the past 30 years.
Jim started his own consulting and coaching company in 2019, which has focused primarily on improving small nonprofit organizations in Austin. His areas of expertise are board governance, strategic planning, community development and engagement, and fundraising. Jim has worked with Stronger Austin, Truth Be Told, Nourish Foundation, Chestnut Neighborhood Revitalization Corporation, and AISD. He’s also facilitated workshops at ACC’s Center for Nonprofit Studies.
Jim is active as a volunteer with 3 Day Startup (Board Chair), Central Texas Allied Health Institute (Board President), Natural Learning Foundation (Treasurer), Mayor’s Health & Fitness Council (Board Member), and The Neighborhood, Inc.
Who Should Participate
- Senior/Executive Leadership
- Middle Management
- Management Consultants
- Human Resources/Recruiting Directors & Managers
- Learning/Training/Development Managers & Directors
HDO Seminars prepare me in ways that I didn’t even know were possible. The lessons constantly open my mind to new ways of thinking and interacting with people and my surroundings.
From Certificate Seeker to Competitive Advantage in Just Four Days
Built on strong academic fundamentals and real-world relevance, HDO Certificate Programs are designed to enhance the portfolios of mid- and upper-level professionals.
Over the course of your program, you will gain immediately-applicable tools and skills to accelerate your career, whether your goal is advancing in your current organization, deepening your capacities to excel in your existing role, or developing additional skills for a transition to a new position. In the process, you will learn alongside and network with experienced professionals from a wide range of industries.
Courses Led by Top Faculty
“My favorite part of the Certificate Program was, hands down, the cross-disciplinary faculty. What remarkable minds! I gained multiple new lenses through which to view workplace challenges. I felt so lucky to have exposure and access to these extraordinary educators. The HDO faculty is world class. I can’t stop raving.”
Sarah Gerichten, Director of Marketing, Square Root, Inc.
By applying cutting-edge research and expertise from UT Austin’s top faculty to your organization’s unique challenges, our training programs are designed to:
- Build a dynamic organizational culture that fosters innovative thinking and embraces change.
- Strengthen team cohesion around existing or aspirational goals.
- Enhance leadership skills at all levels, from first-time managers to senior leaders and executives.